View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to XP-Waste!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Skilling Competitions 2014 
Researcher
Researcher

RSN: Meredith
Post Skilling Competitions 2014
Skilling Competitions

We're excited to introduce the next iteration of our clan skilling competitions. We plan to keep the current format, although changes will be made to how points are awarded and how schedules are created.

Points totals will now be the sum of three subscores, which allows them to be more fair and more accurately representative of a player's participation in the competition.

Subscore 1: Percentage of a player's contribution
This is the player's xp divided by the xp gained by all top 10 players multiplied by 100. This subscore encourages players to gain xp even if they're locked into a position.

Subscore 2: Efficient hours played
This is the player's xp divided by the skill's xp rate. This encourages players to do an efficient method over a less efficient method, even if the less efficient method is easier to sustain long-term.

Subscore 3: Position
20 points are awarded to the player who finishes in first place, 10 to the player who finishes in second, 5 to the player who finishes in third, 3 for the player who finishes in fourth, 2 for the player who finishes in fifth, 1 for the player who finishes in sixth. The remaining 4 players will not receive points. This rewards players for finishing ahead of others, regardless of how large or small the margin is.

Scheduling
Seasons will now last 12 weeks, with each week featuring a single skill competition. The first and last weeks will always be slayer, as it promotes efficient competition more than any other skill. The remaining weeks will be a random arrangement of the following skills:

• Dungeoneering
  • Fishing
  • Thieving
  • Runecrafting
  • Hunter
  • Woodcutting
  • Divination
  • Magic
  • Ranged
  • Firemaking

Playoffs
Perhaps the most exciting feature of our overhauled skill competitions is the new playoff system. After the 12-week regular season, the top 5 players will be entered in a competition that lasts from Friday to Sunday. If one of the top 5 players cannot participate, they will be replaced by the next highest ranked available player.

The skill will be generated randomly, but each player gets a number of votes that corresponds to their seeding, which helps weigh the selection in their favor. The top seed will have 5 votes, the second seed will have 4 votes, and so on, leaving the fifth seed with 1 vote. For example, if the first seed puts all 5 votes on hunter, there is a 5/15 chance that the selected skill will be hunter.

A prize of 25m will be given to the regular season champion and 25m will be given to the post-season champion.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:15 pm
Researcher
Researcher

Post Re: Skilling Competitions 2014
Season 1 Schedule:
  1. Slayer
  2. Ranged
  3. Woodcutting
  4. Magic
  5. Runecrafting
  6. Hunter
  7. Fishing
  8. Thieving
  9. Divination
  10. Firemaking
  11. Agility
  12. Slayer

Season 2 Schedule:
  1. Slayer
  2. Magic
  3. Dungeoneering
  4. Divination
  5. Woodcutting
  6. Ranged
  7. Firemaking
  8. Thieving
  9. Fishing
  10. Hunter
  11. Runecrafting
  12. Slayer

Season 3 Schedule:
  1. Slayer
  2. Hunter
  3. Firemaking
  4. Thieving
  5. Runecrafting
  6. Woodcutting
  7. Fishing
  8. Dungeoneering
  9. Ranged
  10. Divination
  11. Magic
  12. Slayer

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:16 pm

RSN: Rugmonkey
A couple of questions:

1) For subscore 2, can we have some clarifications on the xp rates that will be used please? For example, will the woodcutting one be based on C2ing solely when woodcutting; C2ing doing wc and fish; C2ing doing wc, fish and fm or yew parties? Will the slayer one assume you use seismics which, despite being the most efficient method, is perhaps beyond most people's budgets?
I realise that the rates will obviously be subject to change (if we'd started this last year and decided not to change them, mining wouldve been a joke with warbands for example), but a list of the xp rates to be used based on the game in its current situation would be nice :)

2) How early will we know what the skill is for the next week's competition? Or will the order be drawn right at the start? This could impact people gaining + storing bxp

3) Will subscore 2 be calculated for the top 10 only, or for everyone?

I hope this doesn't sound too critical, I really appreciate the work that's put in behind the scenes to make things like this run smoothly!

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:23 pm
Researcher
Researcher

rugmonkey wrote:
A couple of questions:

1) For subscore 2, can we have some clarifications on the xp rates that will be used please? For example, will the woodcutting one be based on C2ing solely when woodcutting; C2ing doing wc and fish; C2ing doing wc, fish and fm or yew parties? Will the slayer one assume you use seismics which, despite being the most efficient method, is perhaps beyond most people's budgets?
I realise that the rates will obviously be subject to change (if we'd started this last year and decided not to change them, mining wouldve been a joke with warbands for example), but a list of the xp rates to be used based on the game in its current situation would be nice :)

2) How early will we know what the skill is for the next week's competition? Or will the order be drawn right at the start? This could impact people gaining + storing bxp

3) Will subscore 2 be calculated for the top 10 only, or for everyone?

I hope this doesn't sound too critical, I really appreciate the work that's put in behind the scenes to make things like this run smoothly!

1. The xp rate will be decided before the event. When in doubt, we'll aim to overestimate the xp rate rather than underestimate it. This means we'll assume just doing woodcutting for c2s etc.

2. We'll announce the full schedule before the season starts. We encourage the use of bxp when it is efficient to use it. However, it's unsportsmanlike to store xp and use it just to win the competition. If you use pendants on a skill without authorization, you're likely to be disqualified from the competition.

3. Top 10 only.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:41 pm

RSN: AFK Life
When does the first skill start?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:44 pm
Researcher
Researcher

January 1st

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:19 pm
Efficiency Expert Admin

RSN: Bxpprod
Quote:
If you use pendants on a skill without authorization, you're likely to be disqualified from the competition.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:26 am
Researcher
Researcher

bxpprod wrote:
Quote:
If you use pendants on a skill without authorization, you're likely to be disqualified from the competition.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's really easy to know when someone loads up on bonus xp. Don't expect to get away with it L

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:21 pm
Efficiency Expert Admin

RSN: Bxpprod
Wasn't what I was AhahahahahahahahahahahahaAhahahahahahahahahahahahaAhahahahahahahahahahahahaAhahahahahahahahahahahaha'ing at.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 pm

RSN: AFK Life
using my 38k SC points >:)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am

RSN: DuckDeLuxe
Hedgehog wrote:
We'll announce the full schedule before the season starts. We encourage the use of bxp when it is efficient to use it. However, it's unsportsmanlike to store xp and use it just to win the competition. If you use pendants on a skill without authorization, you're likely to be disqualified from the competition.

If you already had bonus xp stored before the competition was announced, for example i have fishing xp stored from SC. Would I have to clarify the amount of bonus xp I have and that would then be deducted from my final xp or would I just be automatically disqualified?

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:39 pm
Researcher
Researcher

DonaldDuckk wrote:
Hedgehog wrote:
We'll announce the full schedule before the season starts. We encourage the use of bxp when it is efficient to use it. However, it's unsportsmanlike to store xp and use it just to win the competition. If you use pendants on a skill without authorization, you're likely to be disqualified from the competition.

If you already had bonus xp stored before the competition was announced, for example i have fishing xp stored from SC. Would I have to clarify the amount of bonus xp I have and that would then be deducted from my final xp or would I just be automatically disqualified?

It's efficient to use SC for fishing, so I don't think there's an issue with using bxp on it. I really only have an issue with people using pendants or bxp inefficiently. For example, using a penance horn for agility is fine, but cashing your pendants in on slayer isn't.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:57 pm

RSN: Dreadnnought
Looks great, I particularly like the look of the new improved points system.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm

RSN: [empty]
Quote:
This is the player's xp divided by the skill's xp rate. This encourages players to do an efficient method over a less efficient method, even if the less efficient method is easier to sustain long-term.

The number of hours one actually played cannot be tracked, so this is still looking at the total xp gained, hence one would still do a less efficient but more sustainable method if the difference in sustainability is proportionally more than the difference in efficiency compare to the more efficient method.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 am

RSN: Ice
sadzx1 wrote:
Quote:

The number of hours one actually played cannot be tracked, so this is still looking at the total xp gained, hence one would still do a less efficient but more sustainable method if the difference in sustainability is proportionally more than the difference in efficiency compare to the more efficient method.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first saw that subscore. Do you have a counterargument, Meredith?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 pm
Researcher
Researcher

It makes the xp gained:hours played ratio more important by counting it twice, in subscore 1 and subscore 2.

Subscore 1 relates each player's xp to the rest of the competition, which means that it is dependent on how many players participate. The idea is that it encourages more people to compete, so that someone doesn't get a ton of points under subscore 1.

Subscore 2 differs by relating xp to the number of hours played. It allows players to get points based solely on their performance while still emphasizing the ratio. It also allows you to combine competitions more easily, so that magic doesn't reward more points than runecrafting. Finally, it makes it easier to tell if someone has been cheating.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 pm

How is the clan competition point gained from a weekly competition counted? Someone said it's point total/10 but that's apparently not the case.

Also for the thieving comp held during the dxpw, would subscore 2 still be calculated at the normal xp rate? If so it'd be much easier to gain subscore 2 in that competition.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am
Efficiency Expert Admin

RSN: Powr
Clan points = competition points / 30.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am
Researcher
Researcher

sadzx1 wrote:
How is the clan competition point gained from a weekly competition counted? Someone said it's point total/10 but that's apparently not the case.

Also for the thieving comp held during the dxpw, would subscore 2 still be calculated at the normal xp rate? If so it'd be much easier to gain subscore 2 in that competition.

I doubled the xp rate. I realize that this isn't ideal because people would lose time that they spent before the weekend, but I'd rather underestimate the hours than overestimate them.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Commodore wrote:
Clan points = competition points / 30.

Will it be rounded up, down, or off? (if rounded down, any competition point below 30 will award 0 clan pt?)

Also is it only awarded to the top 10 players?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next