View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to XP-Waste!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Anyone with RSPS development experience? 
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

Highscores: 2
RSN: Jettrider
Post Anyone with RSPS development experience?
Hi all,

I'm beginning some side projects, one of which is to explore a DG remake on a pre-EOC private server (somewhere in the 500-700 revision series). I'm looking for people who have worked on RSPS projects in the past to partner/consult with while I'm starting up.

From what I can tell, RSPS development is an odd community - there's a lot of crappy programming going on with a lot of noise, and even the good development is mainly quietly reimplementing the same set of features on a for-profit server. Private servers often don't have the more complex skills working: construction is awful or nonexistent, farming and summoning are buggy, and dungeoneering is almost always limited to "custom" implementations, where dungeons like the Temple of Light are given dg keys, mining rocks, etc.

Given that, here are a couple attempts to recreate the real dungeoneering on a private server:
http://www.rune-server.org/runescape-de ... l-way.html
http://www.rune-server.org/runescape-de ... scape.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdnuLPxIS0Q

Though I'm confident on the programming side of things, I've never developed a RSPS and I haven't fully worked my way through the sources above, so some initial questions are:

• What revision/base server would be best to start developing a project like this? I'm hoping for solid core code, perfect combat system, issues like pathfinding/projectile clipping solved, etc.
  • What dg assets (sprites, animations, etc) are available in the cache? Are things like bosses available to place as NPCs? (I haven't seen any bosses in any attempt at dg, even custom.) What about more mundane things like room and puzzle layouts (obstacles, orientations, etc)?

Still in the "feasibility" stage on this project. I could start a dg-like minigame from scratch, but it would have shitty graphics and wouldn't be nearly as engrossing. I'd like an accurate dg private server to be possible, but I'm not in a position to judge that. I need someone who has experience with this to point me in the right directions in terms of where to start and how to handle all the graphical assets/etc. Perhaps there are major roadblocks in the way of a good dg implementation.

If you or anyone you know can help, have them shoot me a pm or Skype me: JettriderRS. Cheers!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am
DGS Wingman
DGS Wingman

RSN: L2ggs
Post Re: Anyone with RSPS development experience?
This needs to be done!

We would never be able to get a 100% accurate remake of DG, because we simply don't have access to the precise algorithms that Jagex has. The stuff that generates the rooms, layout, the specific chances of each room appearing, etc.

One of the best attempts I've seen is this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIdK--c07Y

It shows a couple of different map layouts that appear to be randomly generated (although they might not be) with 3 players progressing through the same floor. It obviously lacks a ton of basic stuff but it seems to validate the idea that this should be possible.

What I'm getting it is that, we can never recreate DG perfectly. But what we might be able to do create is something that plays essentially the exact same as pre-EOC DG did, but with our own custom values for frequency of GDs, puzzle rooms, and custom implementation of the critical path.

One thing I haven't seen yet is a dungeoneering server with a working dg map in floor. Not sure if this is a major obstacle or not tho.

Hemza isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a player with such communication and awareness in dg? Hemza puts the skill on another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a dger with his skill and passion for the game again. kalger breaks records. Namy breaks records. Hemza breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 am

RSN: Lights473
Bump.

I hope you'll be committed to this because I've heard it's long-endeering work.

If you should complete this project, I will pay to play your server (if it would require a payment to access)!

Godspeed and good luck on this. I believe in you, Jett!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 am

RSN: Samb o
Not going to happen beyond a hilariously broken mockup unless you pull a 15-20 man dev team with extensive rs client knowledge out of your ass. Sorry :(

That said, if you do decide to genuinely get a team together and you get a good project lead onboard, let me know. I know a lot about the client.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:53 am
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

L2ggs wrote:
This needs to be done!

We would never be able to get a 100% accurate remake of DG, because we simply don't have access to the complex code and algorithms that Jagex has. The stuff that generates the rooms, layout, the specific chances of each room appearing, etc.

One of the best attempts I've seen is this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIdK--c07Y

It shows a couple of different map layouts that appear to be randomly generated (although they might not be) with 3 players progressing through the same floor. It obviously lacks a ton of basic stuff but it seems to validate the idea that this should be possible.

What I'm getting it is that, we can never recreate DG perfectly. But what we might be able to do create is something that plays essentially the exact same as pre-EOC DG did, but with our own custom values for frequency of GDs, puzzle rooms, and custom implementation of the critical path.

One thing I haven't seen yet is a dungeoneering server with a working dg map in floor. Not sure if this is a major obstacle or not tho.

Personally I have not much experience at all with this, I can barely get the JDK to work, but I encourage anyone who is interested in this and has some knowledge to help the cause.

That's an impressive attempt at Dungeoneering compared to all the others I've seen! Obviously it was still just a proof-of-concept, but that gives me a lot of hope. It looks like multiple different room layouts are chosen, which means they must be loaded in some map region and will be accessible. The boss was a good touch.

Remaining concerns for me are implementing boss attacks and non-melee mob attacks. It looked like none of the attack animations were available other than standard melee. Implementing the mini-map won't be a problem; the world map icon can be swapped out and made to launch a map interface. I may have to draw the minimap by hand, but that's not a huge deal as it's pretty simple anyways.

Yes, it won't be a perfect clone. But I'd argue that DGS+this website are in a unique position to attempt it due to all the data collection done (sometimes mandated) in the past. Examples: we know how bosses are selected and we know monster stats to within a respectable range. We can estimate other factors/percentages by taking notes on real dungeons/old dg videos. Map generation and some other things will be tricky to accurately replicate. But keep in mind that this also gives us the freedom to improve dg over the real thing.

sambo wrote:
Not going to happen beyond a hilariously broken mockup unless you pull a 15-20 man dev team with extensive rs client knowledge out of your ass. Sorry :(

That said, if you do decide to genuinely get a team together and you get a good project lead onboard, let me know. I know a lot about the client.

If you don't mind me asking, why is that? Is it a setup issue - because released bases are hilariously broken with regards to core features or because no one has found all the required pieces in the cache - or a question of the sheer work involved? Help me understand what makes it so intimidating to all these modern servers.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 pm
DGS Wingman
DGS Wingman

RSN: Lloyd M8
path generation seems far too intricate to recreate, good luck though

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:16 pm

jettrider wrote:
sambo wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, why is that? Is it a setup issue - because released bases are hilariously broken with regards to core features or because no one has found all the required pieces in the cache - or a question of the sheer work involved? Help me understand what makes it so intimidating to all these modern servers.

All of the above. All bases are broken so you'll need someone to write an extensible base from scratch before anyone else can even start. Login, Multiplayer, Rendering, Map Spawning, Interaction, Testing, etc. It'll need a good API off the bat otherwise your other devs will get nothing done. There's at least 3 weeks of someone working at it really hard (the protocol is sparsely documented and not many people know it well). At this point, you'll need a team of smart people to figure out map spawning. I'm talking proper map spawning down to the finest of details, not anything like "crit goes straight often" or whatever it is people think. Resources, keys, monsters, puzzles, denks vs paths and so on. You'll also want to figure out how they'll interact, namely which paths hold keys for which others. You'll want (and need) massive amounts of testing too, written tests and playtests alike. Oh and you need a large number of people who will dedicate most of their waking life to this for free.

Gl :D

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 pm
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

sambo wrote:
jettrider wrote:
sambo wrote:

All of the above. All bases are broken so you'll need someone to write an extensible base from scratch before anyone else can even start. Login, Multiplayer, Rendering, Map Spawning, Interaction, Testing, etc. It'll need a good API off the bat otherwise your other devs will get nothing done. There's at least 3 weeks of someone working at it really hard (the protocol is sparsely documented and not many people know it well). At this point, you'll need a team of smart people to figure out map spawning. I'm talking proper map spawning down to the finest of details, not anything like "crit goes straight often" or whatever it is people think. Resources, keys, monsters, puzzles, denks vs paths and so on. You'll also want to figure out how they'll interact, namely which paths hold keys for which others. You'll want (and need) massive amounts of testing too, written tests and playtests alike. Oh and you need a large number of people who will dedicate most of their waking life to this for free.

Gl :D

Great explanation! I'm worried mostly about extending the base. I have to go and can't respond fully right now, but I'll be back later. I'd love to chat more - JettriderRS on skype.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:26 pm
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

I agree that we can get people to help research and contribute ideas as to how to generates paths and where to place the keys. We can add tons of customization (keybag on/off option, for example) and even have highscores based on floor times or combined time/survival etc. Other possible customizations are larger floors (10x10 with 6-7 players?), preset floors so teams can compete on a level playing field, etc.

Updates on my research:

I've decided to work off the Matrix base on the 718 revision (think RS with modern interfaces but before EOC). I could still use some help finding documentation for the ids of:

- MapRegions of the various dg room shapes
- NPC, bosses, skilling plots, and other dungeoneering models
- dg-related animations

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

RSN: Quiescence
This sounds like a great idea!
Unfortunately I don't really have anything useful to contribute as I have 0 knowledge on most things, scripting and stuff being one area of such 0 knowledge, however have you thought about the skill doors? What I mean is, is there going to be like a "max" option upon log-in or will you just add really basic training methods for each skill? I know someone who knew someone who ran a few private servers and was about to re-create DG himself then his friend who he was making the server with stopped for some reason, I'll see if they still have any resources that might help. :)

Either way, good luck with your project and I look forward to the results. However I would probably not use a pre-keyshare option as I started to DG with that update. xD

Edit: I don't have time to ask said coder right now, and I have school tomorrow so I'll have to ask later on.

Edit2: Apparently the person does have stuff for Dungeoneering somewhere on his computer, but wouldn't give it to me. Probably because I refused to give my friend's items to him on my friend's account when he gave the items to me (I said I would give them back only to him).

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:55 pm

RSN: Faith in Me
This is my first post on here in awhile, this being said I've been involved in coding RSPS's before-
Going off your original two questions, the "718" revision will have most of the DG models pre-rendered for you, I.E. Primal 2h's, Hexhunters, Primal plates, blood necks. You'll need to change the stats according but that isn't difficult- the blood neck's healing effect will more than likely be an annoyance, along with the hex's ability to hit based on magic, and the silk shadow letting you avoid certain monsters.
There is no revision currently available that has a perfect combat system, 718's as a whole are probably the shittiest combat system unless you fuck with it. ALOT, - Definitely none of them have "pathfinding/projectile clipping" solved.
Thing is- the ACTUAL FLOORS exist as is on matrix bases.
ALL THEMES.
Issue is- they don't actually WORK.
The basic concept for this is the server itself would have to load every random combo of the rooms as the server and when you "enter" the floor it'll basically teleport you there. This basically means you will only have so many preset floors ;/
Construction itself is not hard to fix on a typical matrix base, slayer has to be done from scratch.
Would this be an "eco" sort of server where we had to start from the beginning or what?
MOST of the bosses are available as npc's- truthfully the only ones i've ever actually found myself while fucking around were icefiend and worldgorger.
as for "accuracy" to normal dg- you're probably not going to come even close without spending 5 months or more on this, sorry to say it that blunt but it's true.
Keybag would be a wholeeeee different ball game.
Simply put, you CAN DO IT.
it's just gonna be ALOT OF PUNCHING NUMBERS.
ALOT.
ALOT.
ALOT.
ALOT.
ALOT.

IF YOU WANT A 718 BASE I CAN GIVE YOU ONE.
http://prntscr.com/1pfn97
http://prntscr.com/1pfndj
http://prntscr.com/1pfnik
http://prntscr.com/1pfnog
COORDINATES OF CURRENT DG PRERENDERING IN 718'S- This isn't all of them, just the ones that I've found messing around.
The command @ admin level is tele "x" "y".
3449 3699 0 - dg

48496 dg entrance

70 5170 is dg

408 3495 - warped

warped floors: 408 3495 0
aba floors: 119 5157 0
warped floors: 508 3495 0
Furn floors: 70 4491 0
frozen floors 112 4246

120 4262 - frozen

It's 1 am and I'm tired so I'm going to bed, i'll check back up on this tommorrow.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 am
Tech Admin

RSN: Witch King Obtaurian, Dark Lord of the Sith
Just a note from the XPW administrators: due to the theoretical nature of this discussion, as well as the sheer amount of work and research involved in completing such a project in any reasonable amount of time, we have decided that this thread does not break any XPW rules. We do not believe that banning any and all discussion related to "illegal" topics (according to Jagex) is warranted. We only ask that no one outright links to a website that provides fully-operational private servers. This thread is essentially similar to the AHK discussion thread, in our eyes.

Thanks!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:01 am
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

Thanks Jimi ! appreciate it.

Faith in Me wrote:
This is my first post on here in awhile, this being said I've been involved in coding RSPS's before-
Going off your original two questions, the "718" revision will have most of the DG models pre-rendered for you, I.E. Primal 2h's, Hexhunters, Primal plates, blood necks. You'll need to change the stats according but that isn't difficult- the blood neck's healing effect will more than likely be an annoyance, along with the hex's ability to hit based on magic, and the silk shadow letting you avoid certain monsters.
There is no revision currently available that has a perfect combat system, 718's as a whole are probably the shittiest combat system unless you fuck with it. ALOT, - Definitely none of them have "pathfinding/projectile clipping" solved.

Thanks for responding! Bunch of issues brought up here, so I'm segmenting your post into logical sections.

Do you have a better base than Matrix? Released server sources generally don't have much solved, but Matrix seemed to have at least addressed a lot of things. Better combat would be ideal. I'd be happy to continue work on what you've got. Challenging dg item effect implementations can be handled one-by-one, or sidestepped.

Faith in Me wrote:
ALL THEMES.
The basic concept for this is the server itself would have to load every random combo of the rooms as the server and when you "enter" the floor it'll basically teleport you there. This basically means you will only have so many preset floors ;/

It seems that creating instanced areas must have been somewhat accomplished (for example, there are decent versions of the fight cave). What's the issue with dynamically creating and destroying room combos on the map and teleporting the party members to the newly created area? Some delay when starting a dungeon is acceptable.

Regardless, I'm willing to proceed on the project even if it's limited to preset floors. Worst case, I can create a front-end map editor and have users create and submit maps.

Faith in Me wrote:
Construction itself is not hard to fix on a typical matrix base, slayer has to be done from scratch.
Would this be an "eco" sort of server where we had to start from the beginning or what?

The tentative idea is to make it a semi-spawn server. You would be able to set your stats and configure your binds, but not spawn items mid-floor. If I get bored with coding dg, I can go and work on other content like bosses and skills, and perhaps separate spawned from earned stats and offer a mode to use your real stats/binds instead of presets.

Faith in Me wrote:
as for "accuracy" to normal dg- you're probably not going to come even close without spending 5 months or more on this, sorry to say it that blunt but it's true.
ALOT. ALOT. ALOT. ALOT. ALOT.

You're absolutely right, and low expectations are needed. However, I have a few reasons for hope:
  • I understand this isn't going to be finished in a week. That's okay, a long-term project is acceptable.
  • DGS+XPW have done extensive prior research on dungeoneering mechanics and combat formulas, so there's a solid starting point.
  • DGS+XPW are home to many people interested in a project like this who would be willing to help out with the number punching, algorithms, testing, etc.
  • The goal isn't necessarily have to create a perfect replica of "normal" dg. We can emulate the best design choices from Jagex and substitute the crappy and difficult to implement ones with our own choices.

Faith in Me wrote:
MOST of the bosses are available as npc's- truthfully the only ones i've ever actually found myself while fucking around were icefiend and worldgorger.
COORDINATES OF CURRENT DG PRERENDERING IN 718'S- This isn't all of them, just the ones that I've found messing around.

It sounds like all the necessary resources are in the cache. What's the general process for tinkering around and trying to find a missing asset like an animation or boss sprite?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 am

The bits of a project like this that you can easily describe to anyone are usually the really easy bits. Toggling keybag, spawning binds and starting with maxed stats along with things like time highscores and keyraces are absolutely trivial compared to the stuff like backend map generation and spawning. Anyone can describe what they want to see at the end, but you're not likely to get to that point alone, sadly.

Don't forget to write tests, Jett!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 pm

RSN: Faith in Me
jettrider wrote:
Thanks Jimi ! appreciate it.

Faith in Me wrote:

Jettrider wrote:
Thanks for responding! Bunch of issues brought up here, so I'm segmenting your post into logical sections.

Do you have a better base than Matrix? Released server sources generally don't have much solved, but Matrix seemed to have at least addressed a lot of things. Better combat would be ideal. I'd be happy to continue work on what you've got. Challenging dg item effect implementations can be handled one-by-one, or sidestepped.

As is, Every RSPS I wanna say revision like... 500 something plus is based off Matrix- it was the one that came first, and everyone else just stole their source. I'm aware on that, I'm just pointing it out.
Faith in Me wrote:
ALL THEMES.

Yes, I would believe it would have to be something simliary to the fight caves more or less, however the thing is the fight caves are pre-set. there is no variation other than spawn points on a few monsters, and even then there is a limited number of instances that could be pulled. DG would be set up in an identical manner I suppose.

Jettrider]It seems that creating instanced areas must have been somewhat accomplished (for example, there are decent versions of the fight cave). What's the issue with dynamically creating and destroying room combos on the map and teleporting the party members to the newly created area? Some delay when starting a dungeon is acceptable.

Regardless, I'm willing to proceed on the project even if it's limited to preset floors. Worst case, I can create a front-end map editor and have users create and submit maps.[/quote]

[quote="Faith in Me wrote:

Binds is a simple concept, as is not spawning items mid floor- the codes you'll need for that are already within the base. RSPS's have the ability to do either ;;master or ;;maxout if an admin- master is 138 combat, maxout is 200m all.

Jettrider] The tentative idea is to make it a semi-spawn server. You would be able to set your stats and configure your binds, but not spawn items mid-floor. If I get bored with coding dg, I can go and work on other content like bosses and skills, and perhaps separate spawned from earned stats and offer a mode to use your real stats/binds instead of presets.[/quote]

ALOT. ALOT. ALOT. ALOT. ALOT.

Jettrider]You're absolutely right, and low expectations are needed. However, I have a few reasons for hope:
[list][*]I understand this isn't going to be finished in a week. That's okay, a long-term project is acceptable.
[*]DGS+XPW have done extensive prior research on dungeoneering mechanics and combat formulas, so there's a solid starting point.
[*]DGS+XPW are home to many people interested in a project like this who would be willing to help out with the number punching, algorithms, testing, etc.
[*]The goal isn't necessarily have to create a perfect replica of "normal" dg. We can emulate the best design choices from Jagex and substitute the crappy and difficult to implement ones with our own choices.[/list]
[/quote]
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that point was across. I'm aware you have access to all the numbers that you'll need for the most part.

It sounds like all the necessary resources are in the cache. What's the general process for tinkering around and trying to find a missing asset like an animation or boss sprite?

I don't know what animations would be missing, same with boss models. If they are, it would simply put be easier to put them together from scratch- there's around ~500k model numbers in an unedited based if i remember correctly.

You would also have to find a good VPS that didn't cost much, which is typically an issue.
EDIT: god I suck at messages on this board lol.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 pm

RSN: Namyaila
Whats up Keith and Tristan!!! Keith if you pull this off it'd be amazing!

Good luck and have fun man!

Prayin for the revival

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:13 pm

RSN: Iam Tennis
DG was the best skill in the game Runescape but now it's over, it's gone! and we guys need to accept it.
RUNESCAPE IS DEAD! and it will be in the future too :(

It was a awesome time with DG but everything ends, that how our lifes works :/

Ty GL irl!//Iam Tennis

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

RSN: I Fail Key I
Man if dis works.. i didnt dg in a while but if u need my help dnt hestitate to ask

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 pm

RSN: BENN0
Sorry for the bump. Is this still going/ are you still going ahead with it? I would like to stay in the loop.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:57 am
DGS Floorgazer
DGS Floorgazer

RSN: Rebound
bump?

Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]