View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to XP-Waste!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Monster frequency 

RSN: T̆̔͐ͩͭ̆̐͛́̃͆͋̚u͚̦ǐ̓
Post Monster frequency
Occult master sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FRJMUJOY1E

Warp master sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TFacjJpWWc

Readme
File -> Make a copy.
Add each monster you see to sheet when you open a room, as to not count things twice. Use a new sheet each floor.
Challenge rooms: Mono, Ramo, Merc, Grooves
Certain rooms don't have monsters: Mono, frem, ghosts room, portals, seeker sentinels, hunter ferret, merc, coloured lodestones, mining rooms, slidy ice, brutes room, mazes, base, boss. Unhappy ghost rooms do not have monsters if cross-shaped on minimap, the larger square shaped DOES, however.

How to collect
  • Fc: Free Lich
  • Dg world, form party, tick guide mode right before it starts after ovl'ing, then once it starts say "whoops guidemode" and lobby so they rq, then you have fl to yourself w/o timer.

Edit: Was broken for a min but is fixed.
E2: Did a warp fl & added monsters I forgot.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:21 pm

RSN: T̆̔͐ͩͭ̆̐͛́̃͆͋̚u͚̦ǐ̓
Post Re: Monster frequency
Data so far -
O1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... k5ENllDOWc
W1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... WdDOEFRRlE

Pretty sure no giant bats in Occ but will do another fl before fixing. Once some o/w data arrives, will make sheets for other themes.
Added automatic tally of # of Mage-weak, Range-weak, & Melee-weak, based on the weaknesses rs state for the sheets.
I'll make a spreadsheet that collects data from secondary sheets soon.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 pm
Researcher
Researcher

RSN: Meredith
http://www.ifadey.com/2010/11/javascrip ... arguments/

That will save you a lot of time and effort if you choose to make a similar spreadsheet in the future, since you won't have to create a different function for each cell.

That said, if I start dging again (which is a possibility since I'd like a comp cape), I'll make sure to gather some data. You guys are doing great things, keep it up.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:20 am

RSN: iBe
Tui wrote:
Data so far -
Added automatic tally of # of Mage-weak, Range-weak, & Melee-weak, based on the weaknesses rs state for the sheets.

This wasn't working for me, although I've never used Google Docs before. Am I just missing something?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 am
Global Mod
Global Mod

RSN: Parselmouth
iBe wrote:
Tui wrote:
Data so far -

This wasn't working for me, although I've never used Google Docs before. Am I just missing something?

Click on the cell I boxed in blue, what appears in the cell editor? There should be a formula. If there is you are doing something else wrong. If there isn't then I don't know how that happened but you should probably just make a new copy.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:44 am
Researcher
Researcher

RSN: metta
Post Monster spawn data and theory
I did some monster spawn research to better understand how spawning works and also to try to confirm that 2h is better than maul.

I did all the testing in solo floors, obviously the level of monsters wouldn't be the same so I logged only the type of monster which spawned not its level. Note that I only split them into groups according to the monsters' names so topless warriors are considered to be the same as regular warriors, melee skeletons with shields are the same as those without a shield, bats are different to giant bats. But I did distinguish between range and melee skeletons.
I logged 409 abandoned monsters, 366 occult monsters and 502 warp. I did not repeat the same floor over and over for each theme. I am assuming it does not change between floors of the same theme.

Using a chi square goodness of fit test I tested to see whether the monsters which both floors had in common were spawning at the same rate. The test compares two themes to each other.
These figures are the level of significance from the test
a/o 0.55
o/w 0.04
a/w 0.69
The exact meaning of these figures is: If we decided that the monsters did spawn at the same rate in each floor then this is the probability that we are wrong.
The figures are far too high so it would be wrong to say they are the same.
I repeated the test but excluded slayer monsters. Slayer monsters act as a skill requirement to get past a gd so they might spawn like skill doors, separate to the way other monsters spawn (thank you meredith for this explanation). Repeating the test the new significances are:
a/o 0.02
o/w 0.2
a/w 0.82

A huge amount of the variation in a/w comes from giant rats. Removing giant rates gives 0.21 when including slayer monsters and 0.009 awhen excluding them. This is a massive improvement and so I conclude that the giant rats in abd are different to the orange and black giant rats in warps.

O/w is still pretty high but I still believe that the rates of non slayer monsters are the same.

I then logged spawns in a c6 med warps. So I am varying size, complexity and there are now bonus paths. The difficulty is still 1:1 though.

I logged 620 monsters in the c6s.
Doing another chi square test I got a significance of 0.69 with slayer monsters included and 0.04 without slayer monsters included. Slayer monsters were almost exactly 50% more common in the c6s. As the significance is low I believe that spawn frequencies do not change with dungeon size, complexity, bonus and crit, or theme.

Implications for weapon choice
The 6 monsters that are weak to melee are shade (crush), range zombies (slash), forgotten ranger (slash), range skeleton (crush), hellhound (slash), black dragons (slash). If there are others I didn't come across them.
The dragons are very rare so I will exclude them. Hellhounds only appear in occults.
We are only interested in the number of slash monsters relative to the crush monsters and how strong they are so the number of other types of monsters doesn't matter (the number of other monsters varies between themes because of theme-unique monsters).
In total there were 196 range zombies, 116 forgotten rangers, 111 shades, 98 range skeletons.
The most common range zombie is level 198 which is as tough as they get. I do not know about the other three monsters but note that you should be 100% accurate on monsters below 188 combat according to the equipment interface meaning the bonus from using the correct weakness will not help (don't forget things would be different for those without primal weapons). When killing monsters slightly above 188 you will not make full use of the bonus. Additionally, including hellhounds and black dragons can only favour the 2h.
So from this I conclude that 2h is better than maul. You can now sleep at night without worrying about wasted dps.

Witch King Obtaurian, Dark Lord of the Sith wrote:
I am better than Aero Dreamz

Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm
Tech Admin

RSN: Calisme
Post Re: Monster spawn data and theory
Thanks for your research@@@ :)

Thu May 09, 2013 4:09 pm
DGS Admin
DGS Admin

RSN: El Bomb
Post Re: Monster spawn data and theory
Thai guy wrote:
I did some monster spawn research to better understand how spawning works and also to try to confirm that 2h is better than maul.

I did all the testing in solo floors, obviously the level of monsters wouldn't be the same so I logged only the type of monster which spawned not its level. Note that I only split them into groups according to the monsters' names so topless warriors are considered to be the same as regular warriors, melee skeletons with shields are the same as those without a shield, bats are different to giant bats. But I did distinguish between range and melee skeletons.
I logged 409 abandoned monsters, 366 occult monsters and 502 warp. I did not repeat the same floor over and over for each theme. I am assuming it does not change between floors of the same theme.

Using a chi square goodness of fit test I tested to see whether the monsters which both floors had in common were spawning at the same rate. The test compares two themes to each other.
These figures are the level of significance from the test
a/o 0.55
o/w 0.04
a/w 0.69
The exact meaning of these figures is: If we decided that the monsters did spawn at the same rate in each floor then this is the probability that we are wrong.
The figures are far too high so it would be wrong to say they are the same.
I repeated the test but excluded slayer monsters. Slayer monsters act as a skill requirement to get past a gd so they might spawn like skill doors, separate to the way other monsters spawn (thank you meredith for this explanation). Repeating the test the new significances are:
a/o 0.02
o/w 0.2
a/w 0.82

A huge amount of the variation in a/w comes from giant rats. Removing giant rates gives 0.21 when including slayer monsters and 0.009 awhen excluding them. This is a massive improvement and so I conclude that the giant rats in abd are different to the orange and black giant rats in warps.

O/w is still pretty high but I still believe that the rates of non slayer monsters are the same.

I then logged spawns in a c6 med warps. So I am varying size, complexity and there are now bonus paths. The difficulty is still 1:1 though.

I logged 620 monsters in the c6s.
Doing another chi square test I got a significance of 0.69 with slayer monsters included and 0.04 without slayer monsters included. Slayer monsters were almost exactly 50% more common in the c6s. As the significance is low I believe that spawn frequencies do not change with dungeon size, complexity, bonus and crit, or theme.

Implications for weapon choice
The 6 monsters that are weak to melee are shade (crush), range zombies (slash), forgotten ranger (slash), range skeleton (crush), hellhound (slash), black dragons (slash). If there are others I didn't come across them.
The dragons are very rare so I will exclude them. Hellhounds only appear in occults.
We are only interested in the number of slash monsters relative to the crush monsters and how strong they are so the number of other types of monsters doesn't matter (the number of other monsters varies between themes because of theme-unique monsters).
In total there were 196 range zombies, 116 forgotten rangers, 111 shades, 98 range skeletons.
The most common range zombie is level 198 which is as tough as they get. I do not know about the other three monsters but note that you should be 100% accurate on monsters below 188 combat according to the equipment interface meaning the bonus from using the correct weakness will not help (don't forget things would be different for those without primal weapons). When killing monsters slightly above 188 you will not make full use of the bonus. Additionally, including hellhounds and black dragons can only favour the 2h.
So from this I conclude that 2h is better than maul. You can now sleep at night without worrying about wasted dps.

I apologize for hating on your research.

Spoiler:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 pm
DGS Reviewer
DGS Reviewer

RSN: Newbcake
KEYBOARD SCIENCE RUNESCAPE SCIENCE BITCH.

^ Click. ^

Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]