View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to XP-Waste!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 A Brief History of Castle wars and PID 
Tech Admin

RSN: hashbang
Post A Brief History of Castle wars and PID
http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comme ... s_and_the/

Thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:58 pm

RSN: [empty]
Post Re: A Brief History of Castle wars and PID
XXX.XXX.8.0 ftw, Jagex denied it for a couple of years saying it was impossible, lol. Anything that involved one or more people clicking the same thing was put in order by ip, needless to say I won every time ( It made slayer tasks 100% easier in non multi areas). Funny thing is I was able to set my ip address ( took 5min) and some people spent hours changing for a decent one.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 pm
Researcher
Researcher

RSN: metta
Cool article

Witch King Obtaurian, Dark Lord of the Sith wrote:
I am better than Aero Dreamz

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 am

RSN: MarkAtheist
The day they started messing with anything to do with Castle Wars besides its rewards was the day Castle Wars died for me. I used to be a very active member of CWP and CWL in its haydays, but those days are over now... I really do miss it. The increase in overall DPS from every side of the combat triangle, new armours, bolas, pID and new safing mechanics have ruined the game for me now. I can hardly do 2-3 games in a row without getting frustrated and slapped with a bout of nostalgia.

When I realized that the completionist cape trimmed required 5k cw games, I was excited. I figured I could do cw on the side as I finish 120 dg... Then I gave it a try and realized I'm probably just going to loaf about; something I never thought I would ever do in CW.

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”
- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm

RSN: the undying
I never cw'd much, but I had noticed priorities in clicking. Never took it upon myself to actually look into it. Ended up meeting a friend who I later learned help discover ips, but this was around a month or two after they fixed ip's. Well imo it wasn't a fix because although it is random, it still is easily controlled. But most people didn't realize this initially after the update, and even now people still don't seem to know how to abuse pid besides picking up items/first hit in staking lol

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

RSN: arq
Makes me want to get a fuckload of people, practice techniques then have a big cw war.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm
Researcher
Researcher

If ip was used for when people click the same thing at the same time does that mean in the same tick? Also In staking the 2 people aren't clicking the same thing so how would pid help?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am

RSN: the undying
Not entirely sure as to why PID causes a certain person to have first hit in staking, because yes they are clicking on two different things. I think it is more along the lines of the person has priority over the other person, so that when the system carries out the action, this person reacts first.

Either way, pid has been proven to be the reason one person gets first hit.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:48 pm
Researcher
Researcher

RSN: Meredith
Information is sent to the server every .6 seconds. Whoever has the highest pid has their message sent first and therefore gets the first hit (unless their ping is really high).

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

RSN: MarkAtheist
It's not even just with grabbing the flag anymore, that's why pID ruined it for me. pID decides if you run through a barricade someone else has just placed, or get stuck there. It decides whether or not you can get up the stairs after a burning barricade falls apart. It decides the outcome of castle wars even more so than IP ever did; which is why I've given up on it.

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”
- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 am
Researcher
Researcher

But there is more than 1 message sent from the server to the game every 0.6 seconds so the person with worse pid can hit at the same time.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:19 am

RSN: Snafi
I played a huge amount of castle wars in the IP era and it was quite frustrating and rewardin trying to get the perfect IP. Due to the fact there was no real base of information on this there was a kind of arms race between the CW clans to figure out exactly what made for the best IP. To begin with people didnt realise the multiple of 8 for the 3rd set of digits had anything to do with it and people would have fast clicks with just .>10 . However, soon enough someone found out that the multiple of 8 was important and soon you had people doing this [quite an interesting point when only 1 CW clan knew about the multiple of 8 and were owning everyone].
IP days were fun, it was more of a leveller in some ways - suddenly someone with 110 combat but who had a great click speed was a valuable asset in a CW team. Also there were people famous in CW for having super fast clicks such as LeighLink and Pheonix Odin. To be honest though its not the change to randomly assigned pIDs that has ruined castle wars for me it's fact that no-one defends out of base anymore. There are too many slayers who don't understand the mechanics of a fun castle wars games and you have to be maxed with 800m+ to spend to really get on. A lot of the skill of the game of CW has been replaced by simply being good at RS [high stats & lots of GP]. Its a shame but ah well BA is still good fun.
tl;dr - IP was awesome CW is now bad.
Also I remember trying to explain about IP and PID on tip.it a few years ago and getting absolutely flamed because no-one believe your IP could have anything to do with your speed of click in RS.

Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

RSN: Trojann2
Holy SHIT! I remember Koddo! I loved that guy, him Jasmine and I made such a sweet team! I miss those days!! :(
Cloudstri101, Metallic Max, damnit memories!!

Mon May 28, 2012 11:02 pm

RSN: Munkwah
Leigh can be found in 82 he only plays in the theme designated worlds but yeah most of the "old-school" cwers have been long gone. I don't use the Castle wars community site but feel free to check it out you might see some people who you know that are still around!

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:05 am

RSN: Brian01001
Interesting read.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm

RSN: Olivia Joshua
It's really interested i never thought castle war has something like this in it's history, anyway it remembered me my old school days because i use to play this in childhood.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:48 am

RSN: Olivia Wilde
Olivia is a bot

ImageImage

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]